Like Blogs

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Why Run?


            There exist less broad ideas of culture, which consist of people who share similar interests. The running culture is one of them. The reasons why people begin to run are wide-ranging. However, the reasons why they continue to run are very similar. The sense of accomplishment felt at the end of every run is what many people are attracted to. Knowing that they have pushed their bodies to an extent they did not know was possible is phenomenal. It creates confidence in an individual and gives them a strength that helps them believe that they can do anything they set their minds to do. The challenge makes them better and stronger human beings. It empowers them and gives them a sense of pride even when they have other aspects of their lives which they are not as proud of. 
            No one knows what kind of effect running will have on them until they actually go out there and do it, and once they realize the many rewards they can receive and how much their lives can be enriched by running, they never wish to stop.
            This past weekend, I ran my second half marathon, which is a distance of 13.1 miles. It was very encouraging being surrounded by hundreds of people running towards the same finish line, climbing the same hills and desiring that same sense of achievement. It is amazing and pleasing to see how many people have joined the running community in the past years. The research conducted on all the benefits of running has enriched the running culture and has attracted many people who never thought they would consider themselves runners. 

2 comments:

  1. Although I don't run as much as I use to, running was my favorite exercise because it is a great way to relieve stress. As I run, I like to listen to music, especially classic rock, and let my mind zone out. If the day has ended and I still have some work to do, I would often go for a run to renergize myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how running is both an individual and a community-based activity. While most runners train alone to surpass their own previous records, they ultimately participate in community-based events such as marathons. I myself am most definitely not a runner, but I find this phenomenon interesting.

    ReplyDelete